printPrinter friendly version


[About GSID]

Q What kind of departments does GSID have?

A GSID has three departments:
DID (Department of International Development Studies),
DICOS (Department of International Cooperation Studies), and
DICOM (Department of International Communication Studies)

You can see detailed information on these departments at each homepages:

Q How many international students studying at GSID?

A GSID offers global environment where about half of the total students are from overseas. Mainly international students are from East and South East Asia, but there are many students from various countries.

Please see detailed statistics here.

Q Are there any pamphlets on GSID?

A Yes. We strongly recommend prospective students to read GSID pamphlet.
You can obtain actual hard copy version at administrative office.
[About entrance examinations]

Q Do I have to go through Research Student Program before entering to Master's of Doctoral Program?

A No. If you pass entrance examination, you can directly enter to Master's or Doctoral Program without research student period. For your information, you have to pass entrance examination to enter Master's or Doctoral Program even though you are admitted as research student.

Q I am receiving MEXT scholarship at other university or faculties in Nagoya University other than GSID. Can I enter to GSID?

A Yes. You can enter to GSID if you pass entrance examination. As for the transfer of your scholarship, you need to apply at your current institution. Please ask this matter to an officer in charge of scholarship at your current institution.

Q I would like to be admitted to GSID. What should I do?

A GSID has two levels of programs. One is Master's Program and the other is Doctoral Program. Normal study period is two years for Master's and three years for Doctoral. Entrance examination for Master's Program is conducted in September (application submission is August) and examination for Doctoral Program is conducted in February (application submission is January). International students can apply to Research Student Program (self-funded) before entering Master's or Doctoral Program.

Q Do I have to come to Japan to sit for examination?

A Yes. Examination for both Master's and Doctoral is conducted at Nagoya University and applicants from overseas have to come to Japan. However, applicants for gSpecial Selection Enrollment Program with Work Experienceh (Doctoral only) do not need to come to Japan, as this selection is document based.

Q How can I obtain application package?

A You can obtain a copy at administrative office. You can also order a copy by post. The same one is published on our website (Master's, Doctoral). You can obtain application documents for Research Student Program at our website. Please note that application forms distributed by GSID must be used for entrance examination application for Master's and Doctoral Program.

Q Can I obtain past examination questions?

A Yes. You can obtain from our website (here).

Q Please tell me details on Research Student Program.

A Applicants can apply Research Student Program for April admission(application period is October) or for October admission (application period is April). Research students will conduct specific research topic under supervision of supervisor and prepare for entrance examination for Master's or Doctoral Program.
You can see application procedure here.

Q Can I apply for Research Student Program from overseas?

A Yes. Selection on Research Student Program is document based. Therefore applicants can apply whether he or she lives in Japan or overseas. Necessary assistance for visa arrangement will be given to successful applicants.
[Scholarship and Housing]

Q What kind of scholarships is offered to international students?

A The most popular scholarship for international students is called "MEXT scholarship (Embassy Recommendation)". Applicants takes the first stage of examination at Embassy of Japan in his or her home country and only successful applicants at the first stage can apply entrance permission to GSID. Any information regarding this particular scholarship including the first stage examination should be obtained from Embassy of Japan. In addition GSID accepts scholars under ADB-JSP (see next section for details).
Furthermore, other scholarship information for international students can be obtained at JASSO's"Scholarships for Study in Japan".

Q Tell me detail about ADB-JSP.

A GSID accepts scholars under "Asian Development Bank - Japan Scholarship Program". Applicants only from ADB member countries (except Hong Kong, China, Korea, Singapore and Taiwan) can apply to this program. Successful applicants will enter Master's Program and spend two years for research. During that period, payment for tuition is exempted and monthly stipend and other allowances are awarded from ADB.

Applicants need to apply according to GSID's own application procedure. Please see details here.

Q Can I win scholarships after admission?

A MEXT scholarship (domestically adopted) and JASSOfs Honors Scholarship are major scheme for existing students. Various private foundations offer scholarships to international students. Detailed information could be obtained after admission. However, places for these scholarships are very limited and competition is very high, therefore, it is strongly recommended to be able to finance yourself during the whole intended study period.

Q Can international students win fee exemption?

A It is possible for international students to apply fee exemption. However, the fact to be an international student only does not become reason for exemption. To win exemption, it is required condition to be competent in studies and to have financial hardship. In addition, as places for exemption are limited and those who fulfill these conditions do not always win exemption. There is absolutely no fee exemption for Research Student Program.

Q Is there any housing for international students?

A International students can apply residence at Nagoya Universityfs Housing. Priorities are given to newly arriving students from overseas. The maximum period of residence is for six months and students need to find private accommodation after that. Please see details for University Housing here.

Q I cannot find guarantor for private housing. What should I do?

A If international students cannot find guarantor for private housing, Nagoya University International Student Support Association can be an organizational guarantor. Detailed information can be obtained after admission.