For further information see the
In the Department of International Communication (DICOM)
research is conducted, from the perspective of both theory and application,
in various fields related to language and culture, including international
communication, inter-cultural understanding, cultural anthropology, area
studies, linguistics, second language acquisition, foreign language teaching.
One of the special characteristics of DICOM is that, in addition to study
based on the literature of each field, much research is empirical, based
on corpora, field work, and experiments with special emphasis on analysis
using computer programs and statistical methods. Because there are students
from various regions of the world, GSID provides excellent opportunities
for international and intercultural communication and students are able
to put into practice what they have learned in and out of the classroom.
By means of theory and practice, DICOM trains students so
that they develop expertise in the fields of language and intercultural
communication. Using this expertise, many students become language teachers
in junior or senior high schools or work in the international section
of governments or organizations. The number of graduates becoming university
teachers is increasing.
- Tatsuhiko SAKURAI, Professor : "Theory of Asian Cultural Interchange", "Analytical Theory of Cross-Cultural Correlation."
- Ayako UCHIDA, Professor : "Cultures and Identities", "North American Cultures and Societies."
- Igor SAVELIEV, Associate Professor : "Theory of Ethnicity", "Immigration and Settlement."
Linguistic Information Systems
- Tsutomu OHNA, Professor : "Linguistic Information Systems",
"Linguistic Information Processing."
- Yoshikazu OSHIMA, Associate Professor : "Semantics", "Lecture on Language
Education and Linguistic Information I"
- Shinji IDO, Associate Professor: "Contrastive Linguistics", "Lecture on Language Education and Linguistic Information I"
Language Education Sciences
- Toru KINOSHITA, Professor : "Studies in Applied Linguistics", "Language
- Masatoshi SUGIURA, Professor : "Language Education Technology", "Learner
- Junko YAMASHITA, Professor : "Theories of Second Language
Acquisition", "Methodologies of Language Education."
International Languages and Cultures
- Naomi KASAI, Associate Professor : "Language and Social Norms."
- Hideto NISHIMURA, Associate Professor: "Latin American Cultures and Societies", "Sociology of Music."
- Shoko SAKABE, Associate Professor : "Dynamics of International Cultures and Societies", "Theory of Intercultural Communication"
- Katsufumi NARITA, Professor : "Fundamentals of Experimental Phonetics", "Studies of Experimental Phonetics."
- Itsuko FUJIMURA, Professor : "Language and Gender","Contrastive Linguistics", "Corpus-Based Analysis of Lexico-Grammar"
- Takashi KATO, Associate Professor : "Anthropological Linguistics", "Field Linguistics."
[DICOM Japanese Page] [GSID English